Satellite communications on smartphones has become one of the most talked about technologies in the mobile phone sector. The iPhone 14 Pro was the first to integrate this function. Other manufacturers are following this function little by little.
Apple initially made this feature available in the US and Canada. It then expanded to include France, Germany, Ireland, and the United Kingdom. Samsung also announced its own satellite technology, with a promise to integrate it into a future smartphone. Below you can learn about the main advantages of this technology.
- Access emergency services outside the mobile phone network: The main advantage of satellite communications over smartphones is the ability to contact emergency services in remote locations. It can also be performed when network coverage is weak or non-existent;
- Send crucial information: In emergency situations, smartphones equipped with this technology can send detailed information about the user's condition. These include the location and medical condition of emergency services;
- Slow but effective transmission: Satellite communication is slower compared to mobile phone networks. However, it is effective for sending essential messages in critical situations;
- Additional communications after requesting assistance: After the initial request for help, there may be additional communications. This can be done via text message to provide more information;
- Global availability: Snapdragon Satellite technology, for example, provides the ability to communicate with emergency services and family members around the world.
- Share location: Satellite connectivity also allows the user's location to be shared through apps like Apple's “Find My.” This can be done without a mobile network.
Availability of emergency SOS function via satellite
You must have an iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 15, or iPhone 15 Pro running iOS 16.4 or later to use Satellite Emergency SOS in Portugal.
Smartphone manufacturers like Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, Motorola, Nothing, and Honor, in partnership with Qualcomm and its Snapdragon Satellite technology, should be next. In addition, smartphone manufacturer Bullitt and processor manufacturer MediaTek are also developing satellite communication solutions for smartphones.
Satellite communication on smartphones is an important innovation, as it provides greater security and emergency connectivity. With many smartphone manufacturers adopting this technology, satellite communications is expected to become a standard feature in many future devices. This can provide peace of mind and additional security for users around the world.
4gnews editors recommend:
“Coffee trailblazer. Social media ninja. Unapologetic web guru. Friendly music fan. Alcohol fanatic.”