Far-right television commentator Eric Zemmour, 63, announced on Tuesday that he is running for president in France.
Zemmour announced on social media that he would run in the presidential elections next April “to save France.”
French researcher and researcher Franck Urban has followed Zymour closely on the podcast «France explained».
Eric Zemmour has a background as a journalist, but then increasingly moved in the direction of becoming a kind of politician with a very conservative right-wing platform. Some even say he is a reactionary politician who wants to restore the heyday of France from the 1950s. He wants to limit immigration to France and force immigrants to integrate, Frank Urban, associate professor at Ostfold University College, tells Nettavisen.
Read also: Pfizer CEO with good and good omikron news
– Zemmour appeals to the most conservative part of France. Politically, it stands somewhere between the National Assembly (the National Assembly) and the Republicans (the Republicans). Some of his supporters belong to the right of the National Assembly. This is the part of the far right that has not found any political foothold in political France. Zemmour has a very discriminatory view of women. He prefers having women in the kitchen, and has stated that power weakens when women reach a position of power, says Urban, co-presenter of the podcast France Explained.
The thief started the election campaign
Zemmour launched his election campaign early this fall, and as a result he has a relatively high support in the opinion polls. In October, Zemmour had 17 per cent support, while Marine Le Pen in the national group was trailing with a horse head with 15 per cent backing. Subsequently, incumbent President Emmanuel Macron advanced with 24 percent support.
But now, Zemmour has slipped several percentage points in the polls, and Le Pen has overtaken him.
– He really has nothing to compete with but to say that France is on the brink of civil war. By this he means that there is a major alternative going on, with the white majority being replaced by non-European people from North Africa in particular. But we are now entering the electoral campaign phase where voters are demanding practical solutions to certain everyday problems. Zemmour focused exclusively on identity politics. Now he has to answer questions about social and economic conditions, and there he suffers, says Urban.
This is a heinous plot
Zemmour, like Trump, has managed to attract a tremendous amount of media attention. Earlier this fall, it received 16 major TV and newspaper titles in a single month, according to Media Censor. sharp. It took 11 hours of TV time, while the main opponents Anne Hidalgo (Socialists) and Le Pen had two hours and one hour on TV in the same period.
– His strategy was to start the electoral campaign early and make the preservation of French identity the biggest electoral issue. He has a very narrow politics, says Urban, started too early and has made very questionable statements.
Among other things, Zemmour put forward a proposal to oblige parents of immigrant backgrounds to baptize their children with first French Christian names.
– This is a hideous plot, says Urban.
Zemmour also asked French people of immigrant background to leave the country if they could not be accommodated.
– You can come to the second round of elections
France’s presidential elections will be held in two rounds in April next year. The two candidates with the most support after the first round of elections advance to the second round. The candidate who obtains at least 50% of the support or more will eventually win the presidential election.
The threshold for reaching the second round is low. This gives him a chance to reach the second half. There is also a great chance that he will freeze and disappear completely from the election campaign. It’s happened before. There were other candidates that came out early and did well on the ballot, but once the campaign started, their number dropped to 5-6%, says Orban.
Zemmour lacks a professional electoral apparatus behind him and appears to be struggling to fund his campaign.
– At the early stage, he got a lot of money, but now the support has been withdrawn one by one. Urban says they fear he is not a horse to bet on.
Orban says Zemmour shares some similarities with Donald Trump.
He has a provocative style, knows how to use the media and manages one issue as the main issue in the election campaign. Orban says he is undoubtedly inspired by Trump when it comes to tactics.
Left-wing sociologist Philip Corkoff describes Zemmour as the cultured Trump.
The difference is that Donald Trump has led an anti-intellectual struggle and has worked hard to show his contempt for intellectuals. While the president is in France, the president needs an intellectual appearance. Emmanuel Macron has highlighted his similarities with the philosopher Paul Ricoeur. Kurkov states that while Zemmour wants Trump to be considered an intellectual, Politico earlier this fall.
“Organizer. Social media geek. General communicator. Bacon scholar. Proud pop culture trailblazer.”