One of the biggest – if not the biggest – iOS updates in the company's history. This is how Apple views iOS 18, the next version of the iPhone operating system, it said Mark Gurman's Newsletter On Bloomberg. The company is preparing to announce the system at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), an event aimed at developers, in June.
For those in a hurry:
- Apple considers iOS 18, the next version of the iPhone operating system, to be one of the biggest updates in the company's history, according to Bloomberg. The system is expected to be announced at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in June;
- The company is expected to announce an update packed with new artificial intelligence (AI) features. Craig Federighi, Apple's head of software engineering, noted that iOS 18, codenamed Crystal, will bring ambitious changes in all aspects of the system;
- Among the main bets for iOS 18 is a “smarter” version of Siri, with advanced AI capabilities, AI integration in the Messages app for automatic replies and phrases and new AI features in Apple Music for automatic playlists.
Hence, iOS 18 is expected to be packed with new artificial intelligence (AI) features. In November, Bloomberg reported that Apple expects iOS 18 to be its most ambitious and compelling update. The edition of Gorman's newsletter, released on Sunday (28), reinforces this prediction.
iOS 18: What to expect
In addition to the important new AI features, Gorman says iOS 18 will bring many other innovations to the iPhone. Craig Federighi, Apple's head of software engineering, told employees in 2023 that the operating system, codenamed Crystal, would have ambitious changes across the board.
Gorman already wrote that Apple is planning several new AI integrations in iOS 18. Check out the key bets below:
- An improved version of Siri, smarter and able to take advantage of a new AI system that includes extensive language modeling technology;
- AI integration into the messaging app that can “automatically answer questions and complete sentences”;
- New AI features for Apple Music to create “auto-generated playlists”;
- Integrating generative AI into productivity applications, such as Keynote (similar to PowerPoint) and Pages (similar to Word);
- Adding generative AI capabilities to Xcode to enable developers to “write new applications faster.”
There are no additional details yet about the new features in iOS 18. However, it seems clear that Apple has a lot of planning outside of the new AI features.
“Coffee trailblazer. Social media ninja. Unapologetic web guru. Friendly music fan. Alcohol fanatic.”