In an interview with the newspaper “L’Equipe”, the Algerian said that last year he felt that he had lost his superiority in Guardiola’s team.
Today, Monday, Riyad Mahrez commented on his move from Manchester City to Al-Ahly. In an interview with the French newspaper L’Equipe, the Algerian international confirmed that he felt a loss of superiority in the national team, and gave the example of not playing in the semi-finals or final. The Champions League, which the English won last season. Despite receiving approval from Txiki Begiristain, the Citizens’ director of football, and coach Pep Guardiola to remain at the club, the winger decided to change the course of his career and start his adventure in Saudi football, where he says he feels more comfortable to “protect” your family.
“I had two years left on my contract with Manchester City and could have continued, but I made the decision to leave. I felt it was an opportunity that would never happen again. Maybe it was the right time to leave because I had spent five years at City and won everything, but honestly, it’s still I have a feeling that I am missing something in my career,” he began by saying, and continued: “In the Champions League, I did not play in the semi-finals or the final. After I had been a starter in previous seasons and had always been influential in the team, I felt that my mission had not been accomplished. I received an offer. “To spend four years in Saudi Arabia, a Muslim country, and where I can definitely protect my family, even though Txiki Begiristain and Pep Guardiola said they wanted me to continue.”
“Writer. Communicator. Award-winning food junkie. Internet ninja. Incurable bacon fanatic.”