Ms. Vanessa Luna Villalba, 23, lived in the twelve-story building that collapsed in Miami. Night until Thursday, Norwegian time. She is said to have worked as a babysitter for the family of Paraguay’s first lady, Silvana López Moreira.
The first lady’s sister, her brother-in-law and their three children, who owned an apartment in the collapsed building, are among more than 150 people whose fate has not been revealed.
According to the country’s foreign minister, the family of the first lady must have been in the United States to receive the COVID-19 vaccine when the building collapsed.
Nine deaths have been reported so far as a result of the accident. An extensive search and rescue operation is now underway in the ruins.
The 23-year-old is said to have left his native Paraguay as a result of the family’s financial struggles. When she receives a lucrative offer to work as a babysitter for the first lady’s family in Miami, she accepts, writing Miami Herald. The money she earned was to be used to complete her studies and support her family.
The job offer, which was supposed to open doors for the family, is now a nightmare for them. Lady Vanessa Luna Villalba’s mother is said to have told the local press that she desperately needed news about her daughter. The last time she saw the 23-year-old was when she said goodbye to the family before the Miami flight, she said.
On Wednesday morning, the daughter was said to have told her mother that she had landed in Florida, and that she was excited to explore Miami. She allegedly arrived at the apartment complex just hours before the building collapsed.
– I’m asking for news about my daughter. I know nothing about her, and I’m desperate, says the mother, according to the Miami Herald.
– She is the most important breadwinner for our family, and she went to Miami to work. You went for us. She says my heart is broken.
Many foreigners live in the collapsed building now. According to the AP news agency, a total of 22 of the missing are people from countries in Latin America. It includes nine from Argentina, six from Paraguay, four from Venezuela and three from Uruguay.
The death toll from the building collapse in Miami has risen to nine. This was stated by Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniel Levine Cava during a press conference this afternoon, Sunday, Norwegian time.
– We were able to find four other victims in the rubble, in addition to the remains, the county mayor said.
Miami police have so far confirmed the names of four of the dead. The fate of more than 150 people has not yet been known.
“We are doing everything we can to identify those who have died, as well as to contact their family members as quickly as possible,” Levin Kava said.
“Organizer. Social media geek. General communicator. Bacon scholar. Proud pop culture trailblazer.”