A power outage has been reported at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. This could lead to an increase in radioactive radiation, according to the plant operator.
There are approximately 20,000 spent fuel cells in the Zone 1 storage area. They need constant cooling. This is possible only if they are connected to the power, the Ukrainian Directorate of Special Communications wrote on Twitter.
– In the absence of electricity, the pumps will not cool the fuel cells, and the temperature in the cooling troughs will rise, they write.
requires a cease-fire
The standby diesel generator has a 48 hour capacity to run Chronobyl NPP. After that, the spent nuclear fuel storage facility’s cooling systems will shut down, making a radioactive leak imminent. Putin’s barbaric war is endangering all of Europe. He must stop it immediately! 2/2
– DmytroKuleba March 9, 2022
Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba wrote on Twitter that the diesel generators in Chernobyl have the capacity to operate the plant for 48 hours.
After that, the cooling system in the facility will stop, which increases the risk of radiation leakage. Putin’s barbaric war puts all of Europe at risk, he wrote.
Kuleba is now demanding a ceasefire in the area, so they can send repairmen who can restore the power supply.
– May be related to the measures
Acting Section Director Ingar Amundsen at the Directorate for Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety (DSA) told Dagbladet that the risk to Norwegians in the event of an accident was minimal.
– We consider it unlikely that there will be any severe health effects in Norway as a result of a possible radiation precipitation, or that iodine tablets will be necessary. If there is a significant discharge in Ukraine and the wind is heading towards us, we will be able to measure the radioactive material in Norway and it may be relevant to measures in parts of the food industry, Amundsen says.
– to stop
The last of the four reactors were closed in 2000. Chernobyl is the site of the largest nuclear accident in history in 1986.
In addition, there is a larger repository of radioactive materials at the facility.
– under control
Russian forces now control the area. They confirmed in a statement to the news agency tast Previously, the situation in Chernobyl was under control.
– At the moment the situation at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant is under control. The operation is now being carried out jointly by the Russian military, Ukrainian specialists and civil servants serving at the facility and the national rank, spokeswoman Maria Zakharova of the Russian Foreign Ministry said.
On Tuesday, the Ukrainians claimed that the amount of radiation from the decommissioned power plant amounted to 20 times. Zakharova strongly rejects this, saying that the radiation level is normal.
She says the reason they control both Chernobyl and Europe’s largest nuclear power plant, Zaporizhia Power Plant, is to “prevent the nuclear threat.”
The actions of the Russian forces in this dangerous situation were guided by the need to prevent the nuclear threat from the Ukrainian nationalists, who clearly have nothing to lose. They have already trained for this. She says that this is the reason for Russia’s control of the Ukrainian nuclear power plant.
“Organizer. Social media geek. General communicator. Bacon scholar. Proud pop culture trailblazer.”