Yevgeny Prigozhin, 61, began a tour of Russia where he asked President Vladimir Putin to reintroduce the death penalty and mobilize two million soldiers. A Russian expert believes this is evidence of chaos.
At the same time, the leader of the private military’s Wagner Group – also known as “Putin’s chef” – denies having political ambitions.
Prigozhin has visited – so far – four major Russian cities; Yekaterinburg, Vladivostok, Novosibirsk and Nizhny Novgorod.
I think we should reintroduce the death penalty. Otherwise, we will not win the war, according to Yevgeny Prigozhin Medusa.
– Comrade Stalin was absolutely right. There may have been many instances where he got it wrong when he shot someone for political reasons. But there is no doubt that there should be the death penalty in war.
Prigozhin mentions, among other things, deserters and officers who do not treat soldiers with respect, when he talks about who should be killed.
In the past, former President Dmitry Medvedev also proposed reintroducing the death penalty.
For Russia to become a member of the Council of Europe, they had to stop using the death penalty. This appeared in the so-called endowmentendowmentPostponement is a temporary postponement. given by Russia in 1996. But after the invasion of Ukraine, The country is now banned from the Council of Europe.
– That’s incredible. When Prigozhin can act this way, it’s just a mess, Russian expert and emeritus professor Christian Gerner at Lund University tells VG.
– It may seem that Russia no longer acts as a state, but an arena in which Vladimir Putin is still the most powerful. But Gerner believes that if Putin does not stop Prigozhin, this will be the end of the Putin regime.
– I see this as a challenge to Putin. Demanding the death penalty is not something to fiddle with. The professor thinks he despairs when someone makes such a request.
The Wagner Group has previously released videos showing them using sledgehammers as weapons if they executed former Wagner soldiers for desertion.
Yevgeny Prigozhin gave press conferences in the cities he visited. Among the quotes provided by Meduza are:
- – The recipe for victory in the military special operation: general mobilization of two million people, good army command and discipline, execution of deserters.
- – Make all directors of defense companies military personnel so that the death penalty can also be applied to them.
- – I agree with Kadyrov that the country should be subject to martial law.
- – We must stop building beautiful bridges, great theaters and new stages – everything must be directed to the army now.
- We will be in isolation for a long time. Therefore, we have to get used to making microcircuits ourselves.
- – The authorities must protect people in Moscow from drone attacks.
- – We are no longer allowed to recruit prisoners into the Wagner Group. It happened out of jealousy.
- – You said that we would need 200 thousand soldiers to complete the minimum tasks in the special operation – to liberate Donbass and have a stable defense at the front.
- – It will be a long war. I expected that it would take two, three or four years for the liberation of Donbass to reach Kiev.
Note: Politico wrote on Wednesday that the Wagner Group is using Facebook and Twitter to recruit soldiers, drone operators and doctors for the war in Ukraine.
“Organizer. Social media geek. General communicator. Bacon scholar. Proud pop culture trailblazer.”