The accident occurred on Sunday in the town of Waukesha, and several children were present during the show.
– 12 children and 11 adults have been sent to hospital, Police Chief Dan Thompson said at a press conference.
He also asserts that the talk is about “several dead”. to me Fox News There shall be sons among the dead.
– We will not provide further information on the number of deaths at this time, as we are working to inform relatives, Thompson says.
A policeman shot the car in question. Thompson does not believe shots were fired from the red car.
– We found the car and arrested a suspect, he said.
They also do not know whether the motive behind the incident was terrorism.
He added that the situation is chaotic and they do not have all the details ready yet.
I heard loud explosions
A witness told the newspaper Milwaukee Journal Ranger That a red SUV was traveling at a high speed, before a loud bang and screams of injured were heard.
In videos on social media, including a live feed from the show, you can see the car driving straight through the barriers on the spot and toward the people.
Many children participated in the Christmas parade
– Several people were on the ground after the accident, Kylie told Starall CNNwho witnessed the accident.
She says there were many families with young children who attended and watched the Christmas parade.
– Everything happened very quickly, and there were a lot of people screaming, she says.
Chris German, who is part owner of a dance studio where several members participated in the show, including the daughter, says he was driving at the show when “we just passed a dark red SUV.”
German said a police officer ran after the car.
– There were young children along the way, and it was police officers and health workers who provided first aid for many of the show, he says.
– It must be a happy day
The city’s mayor described the incident as a horrific tragedy on what was supposed to be a day of joy.
– I even went to the show at first. I saw all the happy kids and their happy parents. I can still see their happy faces,” Mayor Sean Riley said at a news conference.
He added that it was horrible to think of everyone who attended the show and ended up with injuries and pain.
Riley said – We pray for those who have lost loved ones
The city’s mayor, Tony Evers, is praying for all the children, families and residents of the community affected by this foolish act.
– I am grateful to everyone who quickly came to the place and could help, he said in the tweets.
Police are asking people to stay home
Waukesha police urged people via Facebook social networking site To get away from the area. They also set up a separate meeting place where families can be reunited after the event.
Police have closed a number of roads in the area where the accident occurred, and they are asking residents to stay home until the roads are open again. Schools will also be closed on Monday.
A White House spokesman said US President Joe Biden had been briefed on the incident.
“Organizer. Social media geek. General communicator. Bacon scholar. Proud pop culture trailblazer.”