NRK warns against strong images.
On Saturday, Hamas attacked several sites in Israel with rockets and ground forces. Hamas claims to have fired more than 5,000 rockets from the Gaza Strip.
Now Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem explains to NRK why they are attacking Israel.
– The operation launched by the Kazan Brigade came after the increase in Israeli aggression against our people, the Palestinian people, Qassem tells NRK.
He points out that many were killed in the Israeli attacks on Gaza. At the same time they want the prisoners released.
– Qasim says that the strategic goal of this operation is to pressure the occupying authority to release the prisoners.
The Israelis were captured
The Israeli Defense confirmed on Saturday afternoon that a number of Israelis were being held hostage.
– Many Israeli civilians were arrested. Why?
– The main goal is to release Palestinian prisoners from the hands of the occupiers, Qassem says, and he says they take prisoners to achieve this goal.
He will not say what will happen to those arrested by Hamas.
– Hamas always accuses Israel of violating human rights. Today we have seen videos showing violations against civilians. What do you say about that?
Qassem in Hamas does not want to answer this question, but rather says:
– The occupier always attacks our people, and does not stop bombing even for a second. They attack, bomb and kill.
Condemn the attacks
US President Joe Biden condemns Hamas’ attack on Israel. He says the United States supports Israel’s right to defend itself.
Our support for Israel is firm and unwavering. Biden said in a statement that the United States unequivocally condemns these shameful attacks against Israel by Hamas terrorists in Gaza.
NATO spokesman Dylan White described the Hamas operation as a terrorist attack.
– Our hearts are with the victims and those affected. White says that terrorism poses a fundamental threat to free societies, and Israel has the right to defend itself.
Palestinian Jihad: – Does not kill civilians
The Islamic Holy War group (Jihad) is also present in the Gaza Strip. They are further to the right than Hamas.
The spokesman for the Islamic Jihad organization in the Gaza Strip, Musab al-Breim, tells NRK that they do not consider civilians in Israel to be civilians.
– We do not kill civilians, this is a military society. They are the ones who elect governments, says Al-Barim, and he says that the Israeli government is the one that kills civilians.
He believes that they have the right to defend themselves against what he calls “terrorism that kills thousands of us.”
– There is no such thing as civilians in Israeli society. For fifteen years they have been killing our people. Al-Barim says: We have the right to protect our people.
“Organizer. Social media geek. General communicator. Bacon scholar. Proud pop culture trailblazer.”