It is the Ukrainian defense that claims that Ukraine has recaptured the villages of Blahodatny and Neskochny. Both are located in western Donetsk Oblast.
Thus, Ukrainian forces may have achieved their first known advance in the announced counterattack.
Lieutenant Colonel Pal Edstepo was not surprised at the Military Academy. He says that Ukraine pressured the Russians on several axes in the past week.
Ukraine carried out smaller attacks in order to gain a better overview and find weaknesses in the Russian defence. They made advances of a few kilometers and captured a number of smaller districts and towns. Elsewhere it stops. It looks like a typical attack phase we’ve been waiting for a while, Ydstebø tells NRK.
Blahodatne is located about 95 km northwest of Mariupol on the Sea of Azov. Russia captured the city last year after besieging and bombing it. Neskuchne is located about 50 kilometers west.
Perhaps the first line of defense has been breached
Thus, Ukraine may have breached Russia’s first line of defence.
– Whether they broke through the first line of defense or whether it was a matter of small security forces a little further away remains to be seen, but in some places they may have started clearing the trenches and may have reached the line of defence, says Muqaddam.
He confirms that we are talking about deep defense belts consisting of several lines and a number of support points along the way.
Raising the Ukrainian flag
Videos on social media show what are believed to be Ukrainian soldiers raising the Ukrainian flag in a destroyed building in Blagodny.
The news agency was unable to verify where or when the video was taken. The videos were released by the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
Valerie’s spokesperson Cherchen says in Ukrainian Defense that Ukrainian forces must have overwhelmed many Russian and pro-Russian forces, in order to be able to raise the flag over the city.
There are many indications that Ukrainian forces are now launching heavy blows against the Russian defense lines along several front lines. Many advanced Western weapons were also used for the first time, including Leopard tanks.
Ukraine has not yet spared information about the counterattack.
In recent days, Russian authorities have claimed to have repelled several Ukrainian attacks in the same area.
Ydstebø believes we’ll hear about Ukraine’s ups and downs in the next time.
It is better to eat what comes with a little ice in the stomach. Then we’ll see how it develops, he says.
The Institute for the Study of War (ISW) wrote on Saturday in its daily situation update that Ukraine then carried out offensive operations in at least four regions.
- Russian sources reported Ukrainian activity in Luhansk, near Belohorivka.
- Ukraine reports progress on the Bakhmut front. Russian military bloggers also reported Ukrainian advances northwest and northeast of Bakhmut.
- The Russian Defense Ministry said that Ukraine had attacked the border region between Donetsk and Zaporizhia, in particular in Velika Novoselka. Blagodatne is located in this region.
- Geolocated imagery indicates that Ukraine is also making progress west of Zaporizhzhya near Orikhiv.
He confirmed that a counter-attack was underway
On Friday, Russian President Vladimir Putin said a Ukrainian counterattack was definitely under way.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky confirmed on Saturday that he would vote.
However, he did not go into detail about where the attacks took place and to what extent.
Military experts warned that it would be difficult for the Ukrainians to break through the Russian lines. A number of photos of destroyed Ukrainian tanks, armored personnel carriers and armored personnel carriers have also appeared in recent days.
“Organizer. Social media geek. General communicator. Bacon scholar. Proud pop culture trailblazer.”