brytfmonline

Complete News World

UN Security Council likely to vote on new Gaza ceasefire proposal on Tuesday – NRK Norway – An overview of news from across the country

UN Security Council likely to vote on new Gaza ceasefire proposal on Tuesday – NRK Norway – An overview of news from across the country

On Sunday night, this became clear United Nations Security Council A vote on an immediate ceasefire proposal between Israel and Hamas is likely to take place on Tuesday, according to what Haaretz newspaper reported. Reuters.

For the proposal to be adopted, the Security Council needs at least nine votes from the 15 members and no vetoes from the United States, United Kingdom, China or Russia.

UN Security Council meeting on the crisis in the Gaza Strip on January 23.

Photography: Eduardo Munoz – Reuters

The latest ceasefire proposal was presented by Algeria More than two weeks agoBut the US ambassador and its representative in the Security Council, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, warned even then that the proposal might jeopardize “sensitive negotiations” on stopping the war.

The United States does not support this proposal. Thomas-Greenfield said in a statement issued Saturday that if it were put to a vote as it is now described, it would not be adopted.

According to Agence France-Presse, the proposal includes demanding an immediate ceasefire for humanitarian reasons. The text, which was supposed to be obtained by the news agency on Saturday, stipulates the immediate release of all hostages, in addition to not accepting the forced displacement of the Palestinian civilian population.

Peace negotiations faltered

On Saturday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also suspended peace negotiations in Cairo.

He was asked in a press conference why the Israeli negotiators did not return to the negotiating table for further talks after the round of meetings concluded on Tuesday.

– Netanyahu said, according to the report: – We only received unrealistic demands from Hamas Reuters.

Benjamin Netanyahu - up close.  He stands in front of the Israeli flag, where the blue star is clearly visible.  He has a somewhat serious look on his face.  Short white hair is combed to the side.  He looks forward.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at a press conference in Tel Aviv on October 28 last year.

Photo: Abeer Sultan/AFP

He claims that Israel's representatives listened, but the other side did not move “one nanometer.” The Prime Minister does not see the point in continuing negotiations until there is change.

Earlier this month, Netanyahu also rejected a peace proposal on the grounds that Hamas's demands were fictitious.

High number of deaths

At least ten Palestinian civilians were martyred on Sunday night in Israeli raids on Deir al-Balah and agricultural lands on the outskirts of the city of Rafah, according to the Palestinian Wafa news agency.

The health authorities in Gaza also reported that the occupation forces arrested a large number of workers at Nasser Hospital in Khan Yunis. according to Watchman At least 120 patients and five medical teams were trapped on Saturday in the hospital occupied by Israeli forces, without water, food or electricity.

Health authorities announced on Sunday that Nasser Hospital has completely stopped working, with only four employees working to care for patients.

To date, at least 28,858 Palestinians have been killed and 68,667 others injured since the Hamas attack on Israel on October 7. – 1,139 Israelis killed.

The International Court of Justice rejected the urgent request

The United Nations court rejected this decision on Friday international justice Court (The International Court of Justice) in The Hague presents a proposal from South Africa to introduce emergency measures to protect Rafah in the Gaza Strip.

The court said in a statement that the “dangerous situation” in Rafah “requires the immediate and effective implementation of the interim measures” decided on January 26.

There, Israel was asked to do everything in its power to prevent death, destruction and genocide in the Gaza Strip. These temporary orders are in effect until the International Court of Justice issues a final ruling in the genocide case against Israel, which could take several years.

The International Court of Justice stipulates that AP There is no need for a new order, because existing procedures already apply to the entire Gaza Strip, including Rafah.

New warning from Guterres

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres on Friday once again warned Israel not to take seriously the threat to send ground troops into Rafah, where more than 1.1 million internally displaced Palestinians have taken refuge from Israeli attacks in the northern Strip.

He adds that the Rafah crossing constitutes a central hub in the relief work carried out by the United Nations in the Gaza Strip, and therefore the consequences of a ground invasion will be very serious.

The scale of death and destruction itself is shocking. Guterres says that a comprehensive attack on the city would be completely devastating for the Palestinian civilians who are barely surviving.

For his part, Netanyahu says that those who oppose sending ground forces to Rafah are demanding that Israel lose the war against Hamas. Late on Saturday, he also said that the military operation would be carried out even if an agreement was reached to release the hostages.

See also  19: - The World Health Organization announces a new measure for the Corona virus